Go and Show Professional Learning
OJR World Language Department
Intensive, collaborative and effective training for increasing student achievement in the classroom
Goal: Go and Show Professional Learning provides ongoing training and support throughout the school year in order to assist teachers in the World Language department with implementing BAS (Blended, Active and Student-centered) learning in the classroom.
Why? We believe every child deserves to succeed at learning a foreign language in order to expand their skill, their marketability and their universe.
How? We engage students through a personalized blended learning method which teaches self-awareness, self-assessment and self-advocacy grounded in the growth mindset.
What? We create language learners who leave school with nothing less than an Intermediate to Advanced level proficiency, setting them on the road to becoming bilingual.
After taking our BAS class, we want and hope that students will display a love and knowledge of their second language and culture, as well as the ability to communicate in a way that satisfies them and reveals to them their ability to learn and add significant skills to their repertoire, thus furthering their joy and ownership of learning and their delight and curiosity about the world.
Our Big Hairy Audacious Goal:
World Language learners will become respectful global citizens with an enhanced and enlarged view of their world, culturally aware and knowledgeable regarding foreign countries, values, traditions and languages.
This Professional Learning is key in providing the top-notch education which will yield the results we seek for our students.
Go and Show PL reflects the proven 5 principles for effective PD:
- Extended duration of the PL
- Ongoing support for the teacher during implementation
- Active application of methodologies, ideas and strategies
- Modeling and mentoring to support implementation
- Authentic projects and training connected to actual practice
Preliminary action steps for facilitator:
Contact chair of the Department and gain support
Contact High School Principal and gain approval
Contact Assistant Superintendent and gain approval
Send Intro email and invite to department members – Why this will change your teaching life and help every student achieve more
Schedule the PL sessions in calendar, reserve the rooms and prepare the resources needed.
Enlist three-four other teachers in the department with significant BAS experience to provide coaching throughout the PL
Foreign Language Department (High School and possibly also Middle School). PLCs (Professional Learning Communities) will be formed within the department to collaborate by specific language and curriculum taught
Facilitators for presenting: Kelly Joyce
Coaches for ongoing support: Kelly Joyce and 5 other members of the department
- Day long workshops and trainings for presenting and practicing (7 hrs)
- 2 periods for observing (modeling)
- 2 periods for coaching
- 1/2 day process check for problem solving / collaboration / feedback (4 hrs)
- Online discussion forum for ongoing problem-solving and resource sharing
Presenting and practice (WHAT): In the beginning of the month, teachers attend a day long hands-on, active learning workshop where attendees are introduced to the BAS concept and have the chance to explore the new concept, see and practice it, leaving with the knowledge to implement it.
Observing (SHOW ME): Teachers schedule 2 periods during the first half of the month to observe a classroom where the concept is being practiced and fill out observation notes and feedback for themselves and teacher.
Coaching (HELP ME): Following the observations, teachers have an experienced coach / mentor assist them in the classroom for 2 periods during the month as they implement the new concept.
Process Check (GROW MY SKILL): At the end of the month, teachers attend a 4 hour workshop for active debriefing, sharing, collaboration, problem solving and feedback regarding the implementation of the new BAS concept.
BAS (Blended, Active and Student-centered) Topics:
All topics are specific for the World Language classroom and curriculum and provide ongoing support throughout the year as teachers implement the new BAS strategies.
- Growth mindset vs Fixed mindset – how does it impact our students? (4 hours) Why use student-centered / active / blended (SAB) teaching? (3 hours)
- Active learning – what does it look like in a WL language class? (7 hours)
- The engagement factor – How to create engagement with every student (full 7 hours)
- How to create student centered activities (full 15 hours)
- How to assess learning without losing your mind and how to create online assessments (full 15 hours)
- How to create a SLE (Significant Learning Environment) with an LMS (Learning Management System such as Google classroom, D2l, Schoology…) (full 15 hours)
- Blended learning classroom setup – What does the physical space look like? Creating a space for active learners (full 15 hours)
- How to create stations / active learning without 1-on-1 (full 15 hours)
- How to create stations / active / blended learning with 1-on-1 (11 hours)
- How to create your own videos (full 15 hours)
- How to create online projects (9 hours)
Calendar for Go and Show Professional Learning
Total duration 131 hours per contracted year, approximately 19 days, or 2 days per month.
(total PL time)
|August (2 days)||Growth mindset vs Fixed mindset – how does it impact our students? (4 hours)
Why use student-centered / active / blended (SAB) teaching? (3 hours)
Active learning – what does it look like? (7 hours)
|September (1 day)||The engagement factor – How to create engagement with every student (full 7 hours)||
|October (1.5 days and 4 periods)||How to create student centered activities (full 15 hours)||
|November (1.5 days and 4 periods)||How to assess learning without losing your mind and how to create online assessments (full 15 hours)||
|December (1.5 days and 4 periods)||How to create a significant learning environment online with an LMS (Google classroom, D2l, Schoology…) (full 15 hours)||
|January (1.5 days and 4 periods)||Blended learning classroom setup – What does the physical space look like? (full 15 hours)||
|February (1.5 days and 4 periods)||How to create stations / active learning without 1-on-1 (full 15 hours)||
|March (1 day and 4 periods)||How to create stations / active / blended learning with 1-on-1 (11 hours)||
|April (1.5 days and 4 periods)||How to create your own videos (full 15 hours)||
|May (1 day and 2 periods)||How to create online projects (9 hours)||
“Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt.”
The limits of my language are the limits of my universe. Ludwig Wittgenstein